After acquiring an Alexa device, connecting it to a WiFi network is one of the initial requirements. Therefore, in situations where you need to use your Alexa device in a new location with a different WiFi network or change your existing network, it may become non-functional. In this regard, the following instructions detail how to connect your Alexa device to a new WiFi network, with or without the assistance of the app.
Does Alexa Need WiFi?
Alexa devices need a WiFi connection to function properly. When you ask Alexa a question or use a voice command, an audio recording is sent to Amazon’s cloud over your WiFi network. Then it is processed and sent back to your device over WiFi so Alexa can answer your question or fulfill your request.
Connecting Alexa to a New WiFi Network: Step-by-Step Guide Using the App
To establish a new WiFi connection for your Alexa device, launch the Alexa app and navigate to the Devices section. From there, select the specific Alexa device you wish to connect and tap on Echo & Alexa. Locate the WiFi Network option and select Change, then input the password for the desired network.
- Download the Amazon Alexa app on your smartphone or tablet from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store.
- Open the Alexa app and tap Devices, located in the bottom-right corner of your screen.
- Select Echo & Alexa in the top-right corner of your screen.
- Choose the Alexa device you want to connect to a new WiFi network. If you don’t see your device listed, go back to the Devices screen and select All Devices, located to the right of Echo & Alexa. If you still don’t see your device, you may need to reset it and set it up as a new device.Note: If you can’t recall the name of your device, you can ask Alexa, “What is your device name?”
- Tap Status to check which WiFi network your device is currently connected to.
- Tap Change next to Wi-Fi Network and under Wireless.
- Press and hold the action button on your device, which is the button with the dot icon on top of your Echo device.
- Once your device is in setup mode, tap Continue. You will know your device is in setup mode when the ring light on your device turns orange and starts spinning. Your Alexa device will say, “Now in setup mode. Follow the instructions in your Alexa app.”
- Select your Alexa device from the list.
- Select your new WiFi network. If you don’t see your WiFi network appear after a few moments, tap Rescan Network near the top of your screen.Note: For optimal outcomes, ensure that your smartphone or tablet is linked to the identical WiFi network that you intend to connect your Alexa device to.
- Enter your WiFi password and tap Connect.
- Wait for your Alexa device to connect to your new WiFi network, which may take a few minutes. Your Alexa device will tell you when it has connected to the new WiFi network.
If you can’t use the mobile app to connect Alexa to WiFi, your best option is to do it on a browser. Here’s how you can connect Alexa to WiFi without the app:
How to Connect Alexa to a New WiFi Network Without Using the Alexa App
To connect Alexa to a new WiFi network without the app, go to alexa.amazon.com and sign in. Then click Settings > Set up a new device and select your device. Next, put your device in pairing mode and connect to its WiFi network. Finally, choose your new network and enter your password.
- Launch a web browser and navigate to alexa.amazon.com using Google Chrome, Safari, Firefox, or any other browser.
- Log in to your Amazon account by entering your username and password. If you do not have an Amazon account, click the “Create a New Amazon Account” button at the bottom of the window.
- Click “Settings” in the left sidebar of the window. If you do not see this option, expand your browser window or zoom out on the page.
- Select “Set up a new device“.
- Choose the type of Alexa device you want to connect to a new WiFi network from the list, and click “Continue”.
- Connect your Alexa device to a power source and wait for the ring light to turn orange.
- On your computer or phone, connect to a network with the format “Amazon-XXX”. If you are using a Windows 10 computer, click the WiFi icon in the bottom-right corner of your screen. For Mac users, find the WiFi icon in the upper right corner of the screen. If you are using a phone or tablet, go to Settings > WiFi, and select the network from the available list.
- Return to your browser and click “Continue”. After connecting to the WiFi network, you will see a message that says “Your computer is connected” to your Alexa device.Note: If the light ring on your device does not turn orange, click on the option “Don’t see the orange light ring?” and follow the instructions. Typically, you will need to press and hold the action button located at the top of your Echo device with a dot in the middle.
- Select the WiFi network you want to connect your Alexa device to. If you choose a previously saved network, you can skip the next step.
- Enter your WiFi password and click “Connect”.
- Wait for your Alexa device to connect to the new WiFi network. Once connected, you can test the connection by asking Alexa a question, such as “Alexa, what’s the weather like tomorrow?”
See more:How to Change DNS on Windows 10.