If you use the Internet regularly, you must have at least one time connected to an unsecured wireless network without knowing. This kind of network sounds convenient, but there are certain risks to concern.
How can you recognize an unsecured wireless network to prevent the possible cyber risk? This problem will be detailedly explained in this article. Read on to find out more!
|How can you recognize an unsecured wireless network?||The network icon will have a warning symbol.|
Unsecured Wireless Network – How Can You Recognize It?
The first visible sign of an unsecured wireless connection is that you can access it without typing the password. For that reason, an unsecured wireless connection is also called public networks as it can be logged in by anyone who is using computing devices.
There are usually no specific requests for you to be able to log into these free networks. You can recognize unsecured wireless networks at public places such as coffee shops, convenient stores, libraries, airports, etc.
Some networks don’t require you to type in the password. Instead, they need you to input some personal information to trade for the free wifi, which is also one of the signs for you to recognize an unsecured connection.
An unsecured wireless connection can also be detected by looking at the wifi icon on your computer or mobile phone. If you see a lock next to the wifi icon, you are looking at a typical secured wireless network which requires you to type in the password if you want to log in.
On the other hand, an unsecured wireless network will not have a lock symbol, indicating that you can use this network without providing the password.
What are the possible risks of using an unsecured wireless network?
Now that you have recognized which network is unsecured, you can choose whether to use it or not by considering the risk of using this kind of public wifi:
Your devices can easily be hacked
Due to the network’s features of being free and accessible by anyone, free public wifi accidentally creates an ideal cyber environment for hackers to access personal information and data of unsecured devices on the same network.
Your sensitive personal information can be exposed
Using free unsecured wifi equals the chance of having your information, including your email, credit card information displayed publicly to phones in the same connection point of yours, which makes the risk of having your identity stolen higher than ever.
How to protect yourself while using an unsecured wireless network?
The need for using portable wifi is progressively typical and essential in our daily lives, but if an unsecured wireless network is too risky to use, what are our choices?
Well, you can expect the open wifi’s security to be the best, but that doesn’t mean you cannot ever use this network in case you need it. By following these below instructions, you can keep you and your identity safe while using an unsecured wireless network:
- Try to use a secured system whenever it is possible. It would help if you only used an unsecured network only when it is your last option.
- If there are many unsecured wireless networks to choose, choose the system that requires you do login actions.
- Do not access your sensitive information, such as bank account, identity card, business records while using public networks.
- Try not to shop online when utilizing open wifi. Although shopping is not related to you showing personal information, the trading process can somehow incorporate you showing your financial balance or retailer login qualifications. For that reason, you are not advised to shop while you are still connected to an unsecured network.
How to make your wireless network unsecured?
Here are the steps on how you can switch your network from secured to unsecured:
- Open your program and type your switch’s IP address in the location field.
- Enter your login information
- Select “Wireless Settings”
- Find a Security drop-down menu.
- Snap “Unsecure Settings” to turn your network into unsecured
How to connect to an unsecured wireless network?
Here’s how you can connect your device to an unsecured wireless network:
- Open the Settings menu on your computer or mobile phone
- Select the wifi or “Wireless Settings alternative”.
- Search for the wifi with no lock symbol
- Tap the network you want to join and wait for the system to establish the Internet connection to your phone
We have answered the question of “How can you recognize an unsecured wireless network?” Once you have everything clear about this type of wifi connection, you will be more cautious while using it to protect you and your personal information’s security. We will catch up with you in the next article on the wireless network!