Accessing the IP address, you can do a lot of changes for your home network. Unfortunately, not all routers have the same IP. So, how to find IP address of router?
What does the IP Address of the router mean?
The first requirement to learn how to find IP address of router is to understand what that address is? Therefore, we will spend a little time talking about the definition of this gateway.
In definition, an IP address of the router is a private Internet Protocol address. People apply it commonly in their own houses or some individual buildings, companies, groups, meetings, shopping centers, and so on.
In spite of the fact that this IP does not bring you to the Internet server, it gives you permission to modify settings to the network in your place.
Mostly, you can find this type of IP address in many local net systems such as wireless LAN, LAN, etc. As you connect to one of those systems, you can get access to the websites under that system’s IP.
In a simple way to understand, an individual Internet Protocol can only be applied in your specific area. When you log in to your router using that Protocol, you can set up and control all activities of your internet signal modem.
On another side, you can see this IP as a special name. When you are surfing on the Internet, the server management can recognize you due to this name.
The advantage of a local IP is its security. More specifically, only you are able to monitor all activities in your home network. As you log in to the router, you can decide who is allowed or set a limitation for the devices to catch your WLAN signal.
On the other hand, you can set secure keywords for your network. If other people don’t have these keys, they don’t have permission to surf on the Internet under your WLAN’s IP.
How To Find Ip Address Of Router – Structure Of A Private IP
To notice if your IP is the private type or not, you have to understand about its construction as well.
Systematically, a private Protocol is divided into three different ranges. Those ranges are Class A, Class B, and Class C. At this point, you may wonder who has set these ranges right? Our answer is, an Organization of Internet Number Issuing named IANA has given them for technical purposes.
Your router IP is called private if its number belongs to one of these ranges:
- Class A: 10.0.0.0 – 10.255.255.255
- Class B: 172.16.0.0 – 172.31.255.255
- Class C: 192.168.0.0 – 192.168.255.255
As you can see, all three above ranges have a similarity. They all have two last numbers of the Starting IP Address which are 0.0 and two last numbers of the Ending IP Address which are 255.255.
To put in a general structure, an individual Internet Protocol is constructed in the form X.X.x.x. The X.X can be different but the x.x are the same. The “x” will run from 0 to 255.
In fact, the dissimilarity in the two last numbers of an IP does not make any change on your modem. Instead, we recommend you change those IP numbers to easily memorize.
Typically, a local Protocol has two existence forms. One is Static and the other one is Dynamic. To be honest, these forms are not so necessary. But if you still want to learn how each form works, we will explain it to you shortly.
Look at the name of those, you can guess a part of how they work:
Static IP: The address is set up by yourself on your computer or smartphone. After being successfully set, it will not change itself unless you reset the modem.
Dynamic IP: Unlike the Static, this Dynamic type modifies itself automatically. Its modifying process will be taken under control by a management server named DHCP.
Notice: In order to apply Static IP, you need to buy it from the Internet company.
Different Between Private Ip And Public Ip
Keep in mind that the private IP can not bring you to the Internet server. Instead, if you want to get access to the website, the public IP will be your support. You may have not realized it, but you surely see this public Protocol every day. Even when you are reading our article, the public IP stands right in front of you. Yes, it is the link that connects you to our website.
Public IPs are given by the internet service providers. For each website, there will be a specific public link. Unfortunately, you can not use Public IPs to modify your router. On the other hand, those links are not secure as well.
Find the IP address of the router
Going to the main part, we will now learn how to find IP address of router.
Find without devices
Firstly, we want to guide you to find the router IP address directly without the help of any devices. But you have to make sure that the IP is also the Default Gateway of the router. This means that you have not modified this IP before. When you meet our requirements already, then let’s start!
See at the user manual of your router
When the router box comes, it always includes a user manual. Open and read this instruction, you can find plenty of necessary information about your router and how to get to router settings. And of course, you can find the Default Gateway there.
Find the stamp that sticks on the back of the router
Mostly, every router has a sticker at the back. On this sticker are all details about the administrator site of this modem. Seeing this sticker, you can know the router username, the router keyword, and most of all, the router IP.
Find on some devices
In case the IP has been changed before, or you can not find the sticker and user manual, you may need support from your computer or smartphone. Each type of device works with a different operating system. Thus, we will guide how to find IP address of router on some common devices for you.
If your computer runs Windows, you will have two ways to find the IP address.
- Step 1: Find the “Window” symbol on the left under your computer screen and click on that. In case your computer uses an older version of Windows, the symbol can be the word “START”.
- Step 2: On the list, look for the search bar. Right here, you need to type the key “cmd” to open “Command Prompt”.
- Step 3: “Command Prompt” is an application support. It will show up in the appearance of a blackboard. Here, you will see a line that asks you to input the code in.
- Step 4: Type the code “ipconfig” and press OK. Wait a few seconds for the code to load. In some situations, this “ipconfig” may take up to some minutes to run.
- Step 5: After the loading process is completed, a series of numbers will appear. Because there are a lot of numbers, you may be confused and don’t know what to do. But be assured, just look for the line that has the word “Default Gateway” written. And that is the router IP you need.
Through Control Panel
- Step 1: Do the same way as step 1 of using “cmd”. You have to open the “Window” symbol or “START” for the older version.
- Step 2: Open the search bar and input “control panel”, then press OK
- Step 3: This control panel is to help you modify the computer settings. When it appears, find the “network and internet” category and open it. And then get access to the “View network status and tasks” link.
- Step 4: The “Network and Sharing Center” window will now show up. At the top right of your screen, choose your network connection.
- Step 5: Find and open the “Ethernet Status”, and then press the “Detail” to find your router IP. (it is in the group of “IPv4 Default Gateway”)
Mac Os X
Finding the router IP address in Mac OS X is not so complicated like using Windows.
- Step 1: On the top left of the screen, choose the “Apple” menu. Then click to the “System Preferences”.
- Step 2: After that, select the “Network” symbol and choose your network connection.
- Step 3: When you have finished opening the “Network”: window, choose the tab “TCP/IP”.
- Step 4: Move the mouse to “Router” and you are able to get your IP.
In contrast to all other devices, Android does not allow its users to get access to the network connection directly. In order to get your IP, you will need support from an application. In this situation, we advise you to use the Wi-FI Analyzer.
- Step 1: After completing installing and opening the app, press the “View”.
- Step 2: Choose the “AP list” and find the header ” [Network Name]”.
- Step 3: Click that header and you will see details about your local network. And now, you can see your router IP address.
It looks like Apple has made a great condition for its users to check their router IP address. If you have an iPhone or iPad, you just need to follow these quick steps.
- Step 1: Go to the Settings and open your Wi-fi
- Step 2: Choose the “i” (in a circle) symbol right next to your WLAN network. And then you can get the IP of your router.
- Step 1: On a Chromebook, tap the notification place at the right corner of your taskbar. Choose “Connected to [Network Name]”.
- Step 2: Tap on the name of your home network and get the gateway.
- Step 1: Tap on the network symbol and choose “connection detail”
- Step 2: Find the line that has either “Default Route” or “Gateway”. Right next to it is the address that you are looking for.
Change The IP Address
As we have said above, the individual IP address can be modified. So, after knowing how to find IP address of router, you should also learn more about how to change it by following these 4 steps:
- Step 1: You need to log into your IP address at first and verify yourself. Then, open the administrator dashboard to have more options.
- Step 2: The screen will display the “Network” tab on the admin dashboard. You need to find out the “LAN” and choose it immediately.
- Step 3: You will have three options but wait, you do not need to focus on the “Subnet Mask” and “MAC address”. Just work with the tab “IP address”.
- Step 4: When you reach this tab, you should write the new IP as you like. Then, save your progress to avoid wasting time because you may lose your edited data.
After all, finding your modem IP is not too difficult, right? Hopefully, our instruction is clear enough to solve your network problems.
For more questions on how to find IP address of router, please get in touch with us. We will try to reply to you as fast as possible. And now, we want to say many thanks to you for reading our guide!