The router of your network is typically set a private IP address such as 192.168.1.1.
This is used as a default address by which you can access the admin panel to make the adjustments. If there is an unexpected technical issue, this default gateway is where you go to fix the problems.
In fact, the manufacturers set different default IP addresses for their own products. The question is which router brands choose 192.168.1.1 to set for their models.
Well, this IP address is used by some router manufacturers but most commonly used for Linksys’ routers, a US-based brand specializing in hardware manufacturing
- How to Use 192.168.1.1 to Access the Admin Panel of A Linksys Router?
- How to Check If 192.168.1.1 Is Your Router Ip Address
- How to Solve It When the Router Does Not Work Properly?
- How to Change the Linksys Router Setups Using 192.168.1.1?
How to Use 192.168.1.1 to Access the Admin Panel of A Linksys Router?
In fact, it is not a must for you to know what the default IP address is because there are some special devices that can help you to identify this information when the router is connected to the network.
However, this is really helpful if you need to set up the router for the very first time. This is when you have just purchased the router from the store of Linksys
Also, by accessing this IP address, you can get your hands on the admin panel of the router and make the configurations. This is quite important in case you encounter a network malfunction.
No matter what the IP address is used for, here are some steps you can take to access the Linksys router IP address 192.168.1.1:
- Step 1: Start the router and use the two-end cable to connect it to another device such as your laptop
- This is a must because unlike many other router brands, you cannot connect a Linksys router without a cable. They used to say that it is for safety purposes.
- Step 2: Launch one of your Internet browser on your computer. At the URL bar, type 192.168.1.1 then press Enter on your key.
- Step 3: When the system asks you to enter the login and password, use the correct ones in the fields.
- Please be aware that it is not recommended that you use the default information to log in. This is because it is not safe for your network and vulnerable with unauthorized access.
Thus, change the login and password as soon as you access the admin panel for the first time.
How to Check If 192.168.1.1 Is Your Router Ip Address
If you are not sure whether 192.168.1.1 is your router IP address or not, here are what you can do:
- Use a cable to connect the router to a computer. Make sure the router is turned on already.
- Start your computer
- Use the Search utility on your computer, find the Cmd program and launch it.
- At the window of the Command Prompt, type “ipconfig” then press Enter.
- Notice the area “Default Gateway”. The number on that line is your router IP address.
How to Solve It When the Router Does Not Work Properly?
Well, when your router suddenly becomes out of order, the first thing to do is figure out what caused the malfunction. The problem may be attributed to various reasons such as the conflict of the IP addresses in the network and the connection of the cables.
After finding what the reason is, you can try the following ways to solve the problem:
1. Restart the Device
To restart your device, unplug the power cord of the router from the source. Wait for about 2 minutes then plug the cord back.
The restart process will take some minutes. When all the signal lights are on, you can try reconnecting.
Sometimes, your router may encounter the malfunction after it experiences the power cut suddenly. In that case, restarting the device may work.
2. Check the router IP address
Typically, your Internet Service Provider sets a default IP address for your router and this is used for your local network.
To know what exactly your default address is, you may run the Cmd program to do it. You should make sure the router is connected to the device you are using Cmd.
First, launch the Cmd program by using the Search utility.
When the command window pops up, type “ipconfig” at the blinking field and press Enter.
Look at the line “Default Gateway”, you will see the router IP address there.
Check if the address is the same as the one you have used. Using the wrong router IP address leads to the failure of the proper work.
3. Reset Your Router
Resetting the router may work when you try to find a way to fix the issue. You can use this way when other ways don’t work.
Every router has a reset button which is often on the rear of the device. Some manufacturers even put the reset button down in a tiny hole.
After finding the button, press it and hold in about five seconds. For further information, you may take a look at the manual of the device.
It is suggested that you should know the default username and password that is set by the manufacturer. This is because once being reset, the combination to log in the router admin panel will be automatically set back to the default one.
Some do not figure out the default username and password before resetting the router. As a result, they struggle to log back into the admin panel afterward.
4. Ask for Assistance
In fact, the malfunction of your router can be caused by various factors some of which are beyond your knowledge.
In that case, it is best to ask for assistance from those with good expertise such as the technicians from your ISPs. It can save you a lot of time and effort wasted for nothing.
What should be done if you forget the router username and password?
Well, even if you can’t remember the combination to log in, don’t freak out. Typically, the manufacturer Linksys prefer to use “admin” and “password” for the default combination.
Some routers, however, use “admin” for the username and does not use any character for the password.
For the precise information, you can examine the manual or contact the manufacturer for assistance.
Sometimes you don’t use the default password anymore but cannot remember what you have changed to. In that case, you can reset your router to revert the login combination to the default one.
You can see the steps to reset the router I’ve mentioned above.
Besides, after successfully resetting the router, you should also change the default password to a stronger one by taking some following steps:
- Step 1: Make sure that the router and your computer are being properly connected to each other.
- Step 2: Launch an Internet browser on your computer. At the URL bar, type http://192.168.1.1 then press Enter.
- Step 3: When asked to log in, use the default username and password to go through.
- Step 4: At the menu bar, find the section to change the password. This varies from a model to another.
How to Change the Linksys Router Setups Using 192.168.1.1?
Sometimes you need to adjust some settings so that the router can work more effectively. Here are some of the most common needs of users that I’ve noticed.
Change the Router Login Combination
As mentioned earlier, using the default password to login is not a suggested practice due to the insecurity it can cause.
Thus, in order to keep your network and information safe from harmful access, you should change the password the first time you access the admin panel.
To make this change, you can see the step-by-step instruction I’ve just mentioned right above.
Remember that a strong password should be a combination of both numbers and letters. If you can, I suggest that you should include some special characters such as capital letter and the question mark.
Try to remember what you’ve changed. If you find it hard to memorize, you can save the password somewhere. But try to keep that information as private as possible.
How to Change Your Router IP Address
Prior to showing you how to change your router IP address, you need to have some basic ideas about the public IP addresses and the private IP addresses.
The public IP addresses are used as the identification by which the devices outside a local network can locate your device.
You can check your public IP address by using an online tool such as www.whatismyip.com. Just access the website and you will know your router public IP address in no time.
Typically, your Internet Service Provider set the public IP address for you when you register for using their service.
This can be a static IP address which does not change while using or a dynamic one which is not the same each time you go online.
Meanwhile, your router private IP address, also known as the local IP address, is only for the devices in a private network.
Each device is assigned an address such as 192.168.1.1 to help them to identify and interact with each other effectively.
The private IP addresses, in fact, are formed based on the IPv4 standard which is created quite long ago.
These particular chain of standardized numbers are free to use for any local networks and users do not have to be accepted from the ISPs.
Thus, as you can see, the IPv4 standard is being used for many private networks from that of your home to that of the big businesses.
Now are some steps that help you to change the default private IP address of your Linksys router:
- Use the IP address 192.168.1.1 or any default one assigned to your router in order to access the admin panel.
- Log in the admin page using the correct username and password.
- Go to Setup then choose Network Settings
- Find the field Router Settings at which you will type the new IP address.
- Click Save button
From now on, the former IP address cannot be accessed unless you make the necessary adjustments or revert to the default settings. So, you may want to think over a bit before making this change.
How to Switch to A New SSID?
SSID, also known as Service Set Identifier, is quite an important term that you should know. Typically, your wireless network is set a default chain of characters that are used for identification purposes.
If you do not want to use the default name for your wireless network, you can change to another name that you are more interested in. Here are some steps for you to switch to your favorite name:
- Step 1: Use the IP address to access the admin panel of your Linksys router
- Step 2: Log in the admin page using your log in combination
- Step 3: Go to Set up then choose Wireless Settings
- Step 4: At the field of SSID, set the name that you want
- Step 5: Save the changes and restart the router
Your router plays an important role in creating your convenient experience while suffering the Internet.
I hope that what I shared today is helpful and makes you more comfortable with handling the router and the IP address 192.168.1.1.
If you have any further questions, let me know at the comment. I will try to respond as soon as possible!