Routers for PS3 are different from common routers as they serve gaming purposes instead of just regular browsing.
So, if you are fed up with the situation in which your network is too slow when connecting with you PS3 or when there are too many other connections to the Wifi making your game lag while playing, check out this article now to find out the eight best routers for PS3!
Top 8 Routers For PS3 Players
TP-Link Archer C5400 v2
If you’re interested in a gaming router that combines classic look and new technology, the TP-Link Archer C5400 v2, one of the most distinctive routers in today’s market, will greatly meet your expectations.
This gaming router has features for both professional gamers and for the majority of users.
And with the support from Alexa (the AI of TP-Link routers collaborating with Amazon), your router can flexibly deal with any situation, even when there are multiple people connecting to the network at once.
Asus RT-AC5300 is undeniably among the best routers for PS3. It comes with a host of modern features, allowing smooth and lag-free experience of online gaming.
This includes an easy-to-use but powerful display screen, as well as high-quality QoS settings.
Its eight antennas are in charge of the most important task: control Wi-Fi signals so it can cover every corner of your house.
The router’s design might not be everyone’s preference, but putting its appearance aside, this is a cool router that I would recommend you give it a shot!
Netgear Nighthawk Pro Gaming XR500
If you’re a PS3 gamer and always have to compete for bandwidth with your roommates or family members, you should take a powerful gaming router like the Nighthawk Pro Gaming XR500 from the Netgear brand into consideration.
This router is appreciated for not only its incredible 2.6Gbps speed but also for its MU-MIMO feature. If you don’t know what MU-MIMO is, it is a feature supporting the router speed when there are multiple connections.
Moreover, other unique game-focused features such as connection filters based on the location and QoS are also equipped to ensure the smoothest game playing. As a result, compared to other routers I mentioned, its price is quite high, so it might be a good choice to wait for a discount for this product!
This router is another product from Asus. Asus RT-AC5300 is an excellent gaming router in the high-end segment, and comes with some advanced features for a lag-free PS3 experience.
Just like its “brother” that I have mentioned earlier, this router also has eight antennas, which enables its signal to cover your whole house.
Zyxel Armor Z2 AC2600
The model Armor Z2 AC2600 from Zyxel comes with many amazing features. With the most modern MU-MIMO feature, this gaming router makes a name for itself for its performance as this feature enhances speed when different devices are getting access to the same network.
This router can handle multiple devices and prioritize bandwidth according to each product’s needs. Together with its competitive price, in my opinion, this is undoubtedly in the list of best routers for PS3 you can buy right now.
TP-Link Archer C9 AC1900
Despite having a cheap price, the Archer C9 AC1900 is equipped with quite a lot of interesting features, such as two USB ports, Beamforming technology (focus WiFi signal in a certain direction), four Gigabit Ethernet ports, and parental management features as well.
In addition, the speed of this router and the 5GHz band are highly appreciated compared with other products in the same segment.
In short, with all the features necessary for gaming and affordable price, Archer C9 AC1900 can be considered as a bright choice for gamers who are looking for a router on a tighter budget.
This must be the most affordable router among routers for PS3 that we want to show you! However, don’t worry because it’s still a perfect choice for you to enjoy your PS3 game.
Made from high-quality plastic, Linksys E1700 has a compact design. This router not only ensures great user experience but it is also environmentally friendly.
However, it’s not a router specifically designed for gaming so it might lack some advanced features compared to the other seven routers in this list.
Asus ROG Rapture GT-AC2900
One interesting aspect about GT-AC2900 is that it can be mounted on a wall to save space. Moreover, this router is equipped with up to 4 antennas, including 3 external antennas and one hidden inside.
In addition, the GT-AC2900 also has RGB lighting compatible with the ASUS Aura RGB software, which definitely makes your gaming corner more fashionable!
How To Choose A Router For PS3 Gaming?
QoS Is The Priority
What makes a gaming router different from a regular one? The biggest difference lies in the way it handles QoS (Quality of Service). This means that gaming routers will prioritize your game’s operation instead of other network activities.
Dual-Band Or Tri-Band?
Most of the wireless routers are 2.4GHz, allowing a wider range of connection . However, the 5GHz band can provide you with faster speed in transmitting data.
If your home has lots of space, rooms and furniture, you should opt for a 2.4GHz band Wifi router. Otherwise, if your only need is to broadcast Wifi in a medium room with few obstacles , choose the 5GHz router for stronger bandwidth.
Besides, if your budget allows, the most ideal type is a tri-band router that supports both bands/network. At close range, this type of router will automatically use 5GHz, whereas at a wider range, it will automatically lower to 2.4GHz.
G (older) router or N(newer) router?
Actually, PS3 was made for G routers. However, nowadays, new models of routers are backward-compatible for easier and more convenient usage. And, of course, they are more complete with the new technology.
That’s why you will see below my list comprises only N routers, instead of G ones.
The maximum number of connections
Have you ever encountered a situation where you can access Wi-Fi while some other users cannot?
This is because the response capacity of a Wifi Router is limited to a number of access devices at the same time; if this number is exceeded, some of the following devices will not be able to access the network.
For the aforementioned reasons, you should take great consideration into different factors when choosing a router, especially a gaming one!
How To Connect Your PS3 With The Wireless Router
Now, for those who are used to using Ethernet cable, we will instruct you on how to connect your PS3 to a wireless router.
- Turn off all network devices (modems, routers, etc) as well as PlayStation 3 for two minutes.
- Switch on the modem or router. Please ensure that your router gets access to the network and shows the signal. After using your computer to make sure all of your router settings are correct, turn on your PS3.
- Open the PS3. Choose Settings → Network Settings → X button. Next, provide the security settings of your router. If your PS3 still accesses an Ethernet cable modem, your PS3 wireless function will not work.
- Select Internet Connection → Enabled → Internet Connection Settings → X button.
- If you used another Ethernet cable or router, a message saying that your PS3 will disconnect to any current Internet connection would be sent to you. In that case, press Yes to continue.
- First, try Easy Setup. If this option does not work, you can come back and choose Custom Settings
- Choose Wireless → X button → Scan → X button. The PS3 will check around your location to create a list of all nearby wireless access points
- From the list, choose your access point and press the X button. If you are not sure which is your SSID, contact the person who set up your router for more information.
- Press the X button after verifying the SSID. Choose your router’s security type and press the X button again. You can require your network administrator to provide security details.
- Type the information about the security key and click the Start button → Right Arrow symbol. After that, the next screen appears. Remember, the security key will always be shown as the eight asterisks (*) no matter how long it is.
- Push the X button one more time to check the network. If the screen shows Succeeded , congratulations, you’re done! If not, it is regrettable to say this but you have to retry those steps again!
We have introduced you to the top 8 best routers for PS3. Choosing one of them and you will no longer have to worry about lag or slow-loading game.
In our opinion, these routers are so impressive that you can play or load any games with them, not just PS3.
Last but not least, thanks for reading this article. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!