Resetting the router will enable you to delete all the former setting, making your wifi router turn to its original system state, just like when you first bought it.
And, today, we are going to instruct you on how to complete this very process step by step. So, don’t miss the boat and check it out now!
How to Factory Reset Linksys Router?
Before guiding you we want to notify you that when you reset your router, your personal kinds of settings such as your router, wifi and ISP username, and password will be returned to their default state.
Besides, any configuration changes that you have set up like port forwards and firewall settings will be deleted and you may have to start everything all over again after the reset.
As you can see, resetting your Linksys router is not a laughing matter, so, please be careful when proceeding!
Now, let’s come to the main part where we will show you how to reset Linksys router in detail.
Method 1: Use the “Reset” Button
- Step 1: Disconnect your smartphone or computer with the wifi if you are using them.
- Step 2: Turn off and unplug the router.
- Step 3: Wait for one minute and then plug it back in.
- Step 4: Determine where your “Reset” button is. The “Reset’ button is always located at the back or the under-part of the router. It is designed to be tiny like that to prevent users from accidentally pressing it.
- Step 5: Prepare a paper clip. Straighten the paper clip as you will use it to push the “Reset” button. However, if you don’t have one, you can use other small objects that have a similar shape.
- Step 6: Press and hold the “Reset” button. Hold that button for 10 seconds with new models and about 30 seconds with the old one. The “Power” light will flash the entire time.
- Step 7: Wait until the light stop blinking. When the light is stable, your reset is done. You now can connect your devices with WIFI. To make sure your router has already been reset, you can check whether your wifi username is back to the original default mode or not.
Method 2: Use the Set-up Website
- Step 1: Open the Web browser.
- Step 2: Enter the website address: http://192.168.1.1 and go to the IP gateway address of your router.
- Step 3: Login.
Enter the username as well as the password. If you have not changed them from the original defaults, leave the username field blank and type “admin” for the password.
- Step 4: After logging in, find the “Administration” part and click it.
- Step 5: Choose “Factory & Default”
- Step 6: Next, there will be a “Restore Factory Default” button. Choose it.
- Step 7: As this website is connected to your router, your router’s Power light will automatically blink during your reset process. This process is considered completed only when the light is stable again.
- Step 8: Check the Internet status by trying to access the web browser by wifi.
- In our opinion, each of these two methods has it owns strength. For the first one, it is much easier and faster
to apply than the second one.
- However, you can save some of your current settings on the website if you use the web-based method. So, choose
the most suitable and convenient way for you.
- If you still cannot connect to the Internet after trying both methods, contact your Internet provider for an error
- The address http://192.168.1.1 is actually not a website. It is just the IP address connected with your Linksys
router, so you cannot change it or use another code.
Why Is Your Linksys Router Not Working?
When using a Linksys wifi router, users sometimes encounter some issues such as dropping aka intermittent wireless connectivity. There are many different reasons leading to this common error. And here are some of the main ones:
- Your Internet provider frequently changed the IP address, causing your router to fail in obtaining the new IP address.
- Your router running hot. This could happen when your router is under heavy load or because you place it in a too small and unwell-ventilated room.
- Too many connections to your router.
- The router firmware is outdated.
Furthermore, besides those involuntarily causes of your Internet dropping, there are other reasons why you should know how to reset Linksys router:
- You forget your router website’s password.
- You want to reset your Internet network at home.
- Your Linksys router has some errors but you can’t fix them just by restarting or other methods.
- You want to give away or sell your Linksys router.
We hope that after reading this article, you will know how to reset Linksys router completely and can do it at home without encountering any difficulties.
Besides, please take note that resetting the router should be your last choice as it will delete every current setting, even if you use the second way, only a few of them will be saved.
Before choosing to reset your router, you should check your connection again or try restarting the device first.
If you find this article useful, don’t forget to share it with your families and friends so that they know how to reset Linksys router, too.
Last but not least, thanks for reading this article. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. To the best of my knowledge, I will try to answer them all!