In this day and age, people can’t live without the Internet because of the huge benefits it brings us in work, study, and daily life. There are several ways to connect to the Internet. You can register for a data plan with your mobile network operator, or using wifi as an economical solution.
Hence, it’s extremely annoying when you can’t access the Internet because the wifi failed to obtain IP address, especially on your Android device. Let’s resolve this disturbing problem to access your favorite apps on your phone.
Keep scrolling down and following our step-by-step guide!
What Causes the Wifi to Fail to Obtain an IP Address?
This problem seems to be advanced for an amateur user like almost all of us here. But don’t worry if you aren’t a technological expert. Everything is going to be easy with my guide.
Here are some reasons why wifi can not get IP address:
- a network interruption
- router problem.
- faulty wireless security settings
- black-list settings in the MAC address
- a software conflict
- Poor wifi signal
- You haven’t paid your bill
- Overload router because a bunch of users is using the same network
Remember to let your hair down while reading because it’s not serious like how it is called. Make sure you follow our step-by-step guide, and everything will be fine.
See also: IP Address 192.168.1.1
How To Fix Wifi Failed To Obtain Ip Address On Your Android Devices
Method 1: Temporarily Remove the Network Out of Your Phone
This is a familiar way most people will try it out before using other solutions. Fixing the wifi error that does not get the IP address will be fast and effective with this solution.
In short, what we are going to do is remove the wifi network you want to access from your phone and re-add it.
Here is how we do:
- Go to the Setting, then choose the Wifi option.
- Touch and hold on the name of the wifi that you want to use. There will appear a box that displays the Forget Network option. You have to choose this to remove the network out of your phone.
- Go to the main screen of wifi, select your wifi and reconnect by typing password.
Method 2: Airplane Mode – The Surprising Solution
This method is another effective way that people usually use to troubleshoot the Wifi failing to obtain IP addresses. However, it doesn’t last too long.
You may think that enabling the flight mode will only make the phone signal lose. However, by turning on the airplane mode, you will make the router reset the wifi setting:
- Turn on the Airplane mode to block your smartphone from connecting to any network.
- You have to wait for a while, no less than one minute.
- Turn off the flight mode and go to the wifi setting. Then, select to connect to your wifi.
Method 3: Restart Your Phone or the Router
It is a quick solution if you don’t want to try a complicated method to solve this problem.
To restart an Android phone, like other smartphones, long-press the power button on the edge of the phone for a while, then choose Power Off.
Also, you can restart the router by pressing on the red button on the body of the router. However, if the button isn’t available on your router body, you will have to unplug it.
This action will resolve some software conflict issues. By applying this method, you are forcing the central server to stop all processes on your phone at that point and reformat it.
Method 4: Assign a Static IP to Android Device
If these above solutions can’t lead to any happy endings, this “final boss” tip may help you a lot to solve the wifi failing to obtain an ID address. This method is highly recommended by most users who have been stuck in this situation. Let’s check it out.
- Access the Settings, then choose the wifi option. Touch and hold the network that you intend to connect.
- A small box will appear that includes Forget Network. Click to remove the network out of the phone’s memory.
- Tap on the wifi name again. A small box requiring a password appears. You have to look at the left-bottom of the box. There is an option called Advanced. Then, click on it.
- The next thing to do is to tap the IP Settings drop-down menu. You have to scroll down and choose static.
- Change the last number of your IP address in the IP Address box. Remember that the IP address may display in your phone information part or on the body of the router. Check it carefully before filling the IP Address gap.
- Save it and click on the wifi name. You have to type the password to reconnect it.
Useful information: How To Get An Ip Address Of Wireless Router?
Method 5: Change the Name of Your Device
Here is the way to customize your device name as you want, such as your name, your favorite song name, etc. You can use this way to fix the wifi that failed to obtain an IP address.
- Go to the setting, then scrolling down to the bottom of the screen.
- Select About phone, then choose edit. There will be a small box to fill the new name. You can change the name unlimitedly, so don’t waste your time considering the name. Just select a random one. The significant thing to do is to stop the wifi failing to obtain an IP address.
- Type your new device name, then confirm and restart your phone.
- Re-connect to the network to check whether it accesses or not.
Method 6: It’s Time for Exercise
If your phone can’t access the wifi network, it’s time for you to do exercise. Stop to sit and then walk closer to the router. It’s the fastest way to check whether the wifi signal is low or not.
You can connect to other networks if you know its password. It may help a lot because the first network you try to connect is in low signal or interruption.
Read more: How to Get to Router Settings
You may find some methods strange because you didn’t pay attention to how it works for a long time. Now, it’s the time for them to shine, to troubleshoot your problem.
These steps are very easy to remember. Hence, once you get into the same kinds of trouble about Internet connection, or when your wifi failed to obtain IP address, try this.
We hope our step-to-step method will help you a lot in daily life. We are looking forward to receiving your questions and experience shares. Don’t hesitate to comment below. Have a nice day!