The Internet Protocol addresses which are also known as the IP addresses play an important role in enabling the connection of many computers in the world. However, not many Internet users have adequate knowledge about it.
Today, in response to the questions I have received regarding the router IP addresses, I made this brief guide to help you know “What is My Router IP?”.
How to identify your public IP address
A public IP address is given to your router by your ISP in order to help you to access the Internet. It can be identified by using a free online tool which can search your IP in no time.
Also, some router brands print the IP address on the package of the product. You can check out a little to see if it is the case.
But, my favorite way is using the Google search engine. All you need is type “What is my IP” at the search bar. The engine will respond with your public address immediately.
How to identify your private IP address
It is important to know what your router private IP address is because it helps you to access the admin panel of your router.
You have to know this information if you want to make the necessary settings for the network or fix the unexpected issues.
Typically, your router is set a default private IP address as well as a default username and password to login to the admin panel. This information can be not the same as a manufacturer to another.
In fact, keeping the login information default is not advised if you want to ensure the security for your network. Thus, you also need the private IP address in order to change the default username and password for the router.
Typically, the private router address is printed right on the manual of the device. You can look for it in the packaging box when you receive the router. Examine the manual and you will probably find the default private IP address.
Now is the instruction for some of the most common router brands that I’ve used to experience.
The models from this manufacturer are set the same default private IP address. Here are the steps to find this information:
- Step 1: Type the address http://192.168.1.1 at the URL bar in your Internet browser then press Enter. In case that it does not work, you can try http://myrouter.local
- Step 2: Once accessing successfully the admin panel, type “admin” on both fields for the username and password. Remember that it only works if you still keep the default information.
- Step 3: I suggest that you should change the default password when you log in. It is important to keep your network safe from unauthorized access.
- Step 1: Access the admin panel of the router by using the default router IP address. This can be either http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.0.1
- Step 2: When the admin page requires you to enter the username and password, type “admin” at the field of the username and do not type anything at that of the password.
- Step 3: Once logging in the admin panel successfully, it is suggested that you should set up another password instead of letting it default.
This is risky in that it allows anyone to access your control panel even when it is unauthorized.
- Step 1: First, access the admin panel by visiting the default router IP address which is most likely http://192.168.2.1.
- Step 2: If this is the first time you access the default gateway of the Belkin router, you will be not asked to use any username and password to log in. You just need to leave both fields blank.
- Step 3: It is advised that you should change the default username and password which is currently the black space to a stronger one.
If you don’t want your device and your network is put in risk of security, you should do it as soon as possible.
- Step 1: As mentioned above, if you use a router of this manufacturer, you can check the device and its packaging to see if the router IP address is printed already.
The answer is yes for most of the time. But if not, you can try using the default IP address set for many Netgear’s routers which is http://192.168.0.1. You can also try http://routerlogin.net if that IP does not work.
- Step 2: When the system asks for the username and password for accessing, you can try “admin” for the username field and “1234” for the password one.
- Step 3: In order to ensure the best security for your device and your network, you should change the default username and password as soon as you access the admin panel.
It’s never been safe to use something that everyone can predict as the security code.
- Step 1: To access the admin panel, you can use the default router IP address for many Asus’s devices which is http://192.168.1.1. In case that you are using the newly released models, you can try the address http://router.asus.com.
- Step 2: Once asked to provide the username and password, use “admin” for both fields on the screen.
- Step 3: Although the default password is easy to remember, you shouldn’t let it be and do nothing.
Instead, find the option for the security code and change the simple default password to another one which is stronger and better at keeping your network safe.
If your router does not come from one of the brands I mentioned above, don’t worry! In fact, there is a way to find out what your router IP address is no matter which brand it belongs to.
- Step 1: Run the CMD utility by using the RUN option of Windows Explorer. Type “cmd” at the field then press Enter
- Step 2: Launch the CMD program by clicking the right option
- Step 3: One the command screen, type “ipconfig” and press Enter
- Step 4: Although there is a lot of information emerging, you just need to pay your attention to the line “default gateway”. The IP address on that line is what you’re looking for!
What exactly are IP addresses?
In brief, IP addresses can be considered the special groups of characters created to assist the connecting point in a network to communicate with each other in a smooth and proper manner.
You may come across several types of IP addresses while using the Internet or conducting the adjustments on your computer. It is quite hard to know what it is, right?
But don’t worry!
In order to use your network more effectively, you are most likely just need to pay attention most to the public IP addresses and the private IP addresses.
What are IP addresses used for?
Because a network consists of a number of connecting computers, it is required that there should be a way for them to communicate and share the data with each other in an exact manner.
To understand the role of the IP addresses, you may think about your mailing address. How can someone find your house in a residential area with many houses standing together?
Yes, you’re right. An address, of course.
Another analogy is when you are about to receive an order you took a week ago from a foreign online shopping site. How can the courier deliver your purchase to you if they do not have your address?
That’s the way that the IP addresses assist the devices in a network. Of course, it’s not in a physical world, but in the digital space.
As some data need to be transmitted to a device, your computer is supported by a DNS service that can tell it where that device is in the network. You can think of a telephone book that you use to look for somebody’s contact number.
The difference is that the DNS server does not give the telephone number. Instead, it will process the request and give the IP addresses in the standardized form, such as 192.168.1.0.
Different types of router IP addresses
As I mention above, there are several ways to classify IP addresses. However, the most essential approach you need to take is the difference between the public IP addresses and the private IP addresses. I will talk about them one by one down here.
Public IP addresses
This type of IP address is the address that your Internet Service Provider gives to your router. This is what helps you to access the Internet every day. Without a proper public IP address, you are not likely to read these lines.
Private IP addresses
Unlike the public IP addresses, a private IP address is used for the devices in a local network.
Thanks to this type of IP address, different devices in a private system can identify each other and conduct the interaction process effectively if needed.
I hope what I shared today can help you with using and controlling your network better. Don’t hesitate to let me know if you have any further question about the router IP address. I will try to help you as much as I can!