Cisco, a company acts as the foundation for the Internet world, has a clear sense of how important data is.
If you use a Cisco router, then this article is what you should read.
It will outline how you can protect your data using Cisco programs, as well as accessing the setup page with Cisco router default password.
Access to the Setup Page of Cisco VPN Routers
Why Should You Get Access to the Cisco Setup Page?
Every Cisco router has a web-based setup page by default, through which users can approach to configure the settings and setup properties.
By accessing this page, you can modify the connections to your own needs and preferences, which is a huge plus for households that have multiple users.
Step by Step Guide to Accessing the Web-Based Setup Page of Cisco Routers
Before you go on:
Make sure you have turned on the router, and your router is connected from one of the Ethernet ports.
It has to connect with wires and not wifi waves. Otherwise, it won’t work.
Accessing the page
- Step 1: Open a web browser (Eg: Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox,…)
- Step 2: In the Address bar, enter your router’s IP Address ( The most common default IP of Cisco routers is 192.168.1.1)
If your router’s IP address changes, you will need to enter the new ones.
- Step 3: Press Enter
If you forget or don’t know the new IP address
There are two ways to access the setup page without knowing the changed IP and password.
- You can check the address in the administration guide that comes in the bundle with the router.
- If no address appeared in the guide, press and hold the Reset button at the back of the router for 30 seconds. It will reset the router to factory defaults.
- Warning: Pressing the reset button will erase any settings existing on the router. Then, the router’s IP address will return to the default, which is 192.168.1.1. The username will be either admin (for earlier models) or Cisco (for more recent models) after resetting.
- Then, there will be a new window popping up, prompting for a username or password.
- In both of these fields, type admin or cisco.
- Then, click OK.
- Note: If somebody changed the username and password, you must enter the new username and password on both sides.
In case you don’t know or forget the login properties, then it is necessary to reset the router to factory defaults and do the steps above.
- If your computer reports problems accessing the web-based setup page of the router, then the router, then there must be some issues with the connection.
- Only when the computer is properly connected to the router, then the connection can work well.
After accessing the web-based setup page, you can try some configuration procedures to customize the router to your needs.
In the recent world economy, data protection is without a doubt a priority.
An organization must first and foremost showcase their ability to protect data and ensures privacy to earn the trust of their customers, even of its employees.
95% of users who want to access to the Internet use Cisco products.
With a scale that is grand, Cisco has to assists its customer with elaborated strategies for data safety.
How does that apply to you? Read on to know.
How Can Organizations Protect their Data?
Publishing data protecting practices is one thing. If a company wants to adopt these data protection practices seamlessly, it also needs to build multidisciplinary teams.
Ensuring that the practices align with pre-existing operations in the company is also critical.
The corporation must have a privacy and security team without saying. However, other teams also need to bring in their perspective and expertise.
The second step to protect data cooperation-wide is to inventory the data. How can you protect your data, if you don’t know what you have?
The best way to begin is with a high-level exploration. After that, the company can look to find a more detailed data landscape.
In a controlled amount of time, the organization will have a glimpse on what data is there, how the data stored, who has the authority to access, and how the data moves around the organization.
Cisco offers users and customers detailed schemes for protecting data as below.
Data Protection is a Priority for Cisco
At Cisco, the motto is: Data is the currency.
That makes data a focused target for cybercriminals.
The world sees devastating news of data leaks every day, which further prompts the organization to find ways to keep this asset safe and secure.
Cisco vows to keep their digital assets safe at all touch points, compliant to global regulations and adaptable to every country that it presents.
As a customer or user of Cisco’s product, you have access to its varied data protection program frameworks.
Overview: Cisco Data Protection Programs
Individuals or organizations who use Cisco don’t have to start from scratch, but we do need to understand the framework to adapt it to our practices.
With Cisco Data Protection Program, we are able to focus and respond well in a highly dynamic environment.
It is one of the most collaborative, risk-based approach in today’s world.
There are many excellent options from which we can choose from Cisco:
- Standards and policies
- Identification and classification
- Risks with organizational maturity data
- Incident recording procedure
- Enforce and overseeing process
- Privacy and Security
- Aware and Educating undertaking
Once you have established the framework, your organization can continue to work on core elements and identify the best practices that are necessary for scale.
After that, it is imperative that you access risks involving data-centric and organizational work.
Then we look at each and every data set to see the opportunities it can offers, as well as the threats that it might bring about across the organization and eco-system.
Fourthly, we determine the biggest impact- positive or negative and start taking action from there.
Last but not least, have a plan for consistency. In the landscape of today’s political and technical aspects, we have no other choice than to be agile.
As with any other strategy, a data protection program should start small but strong, then incorporates with more sophistication over time.
Framework for Policies and Standards
This framework applies for common taxonomy, policy frameworks, and core security, in addition to data protection and privacy policies.
Step – by – step guide to starting policies and standards work:
- Set up common data taxonomy, including: Categories of Data; Levels of Access to data; Roles involved with Data,
- Assign and align these roles
- Reconcile data standards, policies and procedures.
- Determine decision rights and accountability
- Publish written standards, policies and procedures involving data.
A majority of routers and switches made by Cisco has default passwords of admins (some also call it cisco).
Cisco Data Protection Policy
Cisco is one of the most innovative cooperation in the Internet world.
With great measure comes great responsibility, Cisco is committed to protecting your data to a cinch.
How though? You may ask.
Read on to know how the Cisco company complies to the latest EU General Data Protection Regulation.
Cisco’s MDPA terms:
As an effort to meet the evergrowing requirements for data protection and privacy of the Internet, Cisco publicly established its terms for handling customers’ data on its main website.
The Master Data Protection Agreement (or MDPA) is constantly updated, with the most recent version as below:
- The MDPA outlines the conditions and terms that will administer the processing of personal data and other confidential information.
- The MDPA ascribes every security measures (technically and organizationally) that can be implemented to curtail accidental loss probability, including information destruction, alteration, unauthorized divulgence, unauthorized entry.
- The MDPA consolidates the EU Standard Contractual Clauses, Privacy Shield, and APEC Cross Border and Privacy Rules system requirements for global data transfers.
The Cisco company also commands its suppliers to follow the requirements of this MDPA.
Cisco’s Data Protection policy does not stop with contractual conditions. It also features additional terms, such as:
- Develop better standards to define personal data life cycles.
- Make the best efforts to ensure data transparency, precision, accessibility, certainty, and consistency.
- Maintain a data map to correctly identify what they have, what are they doing about it, where the data goes and flows; and who has the authority to access the data.
- Clarify the risks involving with their data, and conduct the threat models for data that they process.
- Improve their responding process for data incidents in enterprises and companies.
- With every product design and new methodologies, integrate these data requirements fluidly.
- Keep awareness for up-to-date certifications such as APEC Cross Border Privacy Rules, EU-US and Swiss-US Privacy Shield frameworks.
Now that you are confident about your data security with Cisco, let’s go on to find out how to customize your router to your need with Cisco router default password.
Cisco 800M Series ISR Software Configuration Guide
The following article will guide you through the basic configuration procedures for routers model 800M Series ISR.
I. Global Parameters Configuration
If you want the global parameters for your device, follow the steps below:
- Terminal Configuration
- Enable password
- No IP Domain-Lookup
- Step-by-step guide
Command: Configure Terminal
Purpose: To enter the global configuration mode, using the console port
Router# configure terminal
Command: Hostname name
Purpose: To specify the name for the router
Router(config)# hostname Router
Command: Enable Secret password
Purpose: To specify an encrypted password so there won’t be any unauthorized access to the router
Router(config)# enable secret cr1ny5ho
Command: no IP domain-lookup
Purpose: To disable the router from auto-translating typos (unfamiliar words) into an IP address.
II. Configure Gigabit Ethernet WAN Interfaces
To make the connection of WAN interfaces, use either straight or reversed polarity connectors.
- Straight polarity connectors: Check if your Mag-jack RJ45 connector exposes a dot or a digit appeared on the front enclosure, it can apply to all types of cables.
- Reversed polarity connectors: If the dot or digit don’t show up on Mag-jack RJ45 front housing, you can only utilize it with a coupler and a short cable (Cat5E UTP cable) to link to devices that don’t compatible with auto polarity correction.
Once you have finished global configuration mode, then we can proceed to configure Gigabit Ethernet WAN interfaces with these steps.
- Terminal Configuration
- Interface gigabitethernet slot/port
- Mask IP Address
- No ShutDown
Command: Terminal configuration
Purpose: Enter to configuration globally
Router# configure terminal
Command: Interface gigabitethernet slot/port
Purpose: To enter the configuration mode for the gigabit ethernet on the router
Note: The gigabit ethernet interfaces include:
- 0/8 and 0/9 for Cisco C841M-8X ISR
- 0/4 to 0/5 for Cisco C841M-4X
Router(config)# interface gigabitethernet 0/8
Command: Mask IP Address
Purpose: To set the IP address and subnet as for the determined GE interface.
Purpose: To exit the global configuration mode for the GE interface (and return to global configuration mode)
Example: Router(config-if)# exit
The Internet is a wonderful thing, and data its currency.
With data, you can have many wonderful payoffs from the cyber world, all the while having to face the threats that follow.
In this article, we have tried to explain the expert-level data protection procedures of Cisco.
We also make a prompt guide of configuration using Cisco router default password to access to the setup page
We hope that this article has brought you useful information. Happy connecting.