IP address is a short number sequence, but it is of great importance to ensure the operation of the router. Take Arris router IP address for an example, when you need to make any changes to your router network, you always need the IP address above to go to the Arris router setup page.
It is that vital, but the question is how to find these numbers? In this article, we will dig deeper into the IP address and learn how to find Arris router IP manually on all platforms. Let’s go!
- How To Find Your Gateway Arris Router Ip On Different Platforms
- What is the IP Address?
- Types of Router IP address?
- Change The Arris Router Ip Address
- Notes when change the router IP Address
How To Find Your Gateway Arris Router Ip On Different Platforms
Now we all know the private IP address or gateway router IP address is substantial to navigate to the user interface page to proceed with the configurations and customizations.
When you purchase the router, you can find the default gateway IP address in the manual instruction book. Another way to find this default IP is to look upon the Internet. For instance, with the Arris router, you can search “What is the default gateway IP of Arris router.”
Most Arris routers have their default IP address of 192.168.x.x. However, there are quite a lot of different sequences of numbers, so it can be challenging to choose the right one. In addition, perhaps you have changed the IP before but cannot remember now.
Below are ways applied to the different operating system platforms to seek Arris router IP manually. Make sure you are connecting to the network before starting.
Find Router Ip On Windows
- Step 1: Open Control Panel. If you cannot find it, press Win + R then type Control Panel then press Enter
- Step 2: Choose Network and Internet then click on View network status and tasks.
- Step 3: On the next screen, select your Arris router name to open a new box containing detailed information of your internet connection.
- Step 4: Click on Detail or View your network properties. You will see a lot of information, including your default gateway IP address.
- Step 1: Open Run Prompt on your Windows device by press Win + R
- Step 2: In the Run Prompt screen, type cmd then press Enter key to open Command Prompt
- Step 3: Type ipconfig into the command prompt and then search it
- Step 4: A long list of information appears. Look for the default gateway address that is the router’s IP address you need.
Find router IP on Mac OS
- Step 1: In the Apple menu on the top of the screen, click on System Preferences.
- Step 2: Choose Network References. The new screen consists of many types of connection to your Mac, such as WiFi router, Hardware connection, Bluetooth, or LAN.
- Step 3: Navigate to WiFi. In the case of using a wired connection, you have to go to LAN.
- Step 4: In the Network section, hit Advanced, then select TCP/IP tab. Here your Arris router IP is next to the line Router.
- Step 1: Open Utilities then choose Terminal.
- Step 2: Type netstat -nr | grep default when a new screen appears.
- Step 3: Look for the gateway router IP you need. It is next to the line default.
Find router IP on Linux
- Step 1: From the notification section, click on the icon of the networks to open a drop-down menu.
- Step 2: Select the Connection Information tab from the list.
- Step 3: In the Default Route line, you see find out the IP address of your router.
- Step 1: Go to the Terminal Window, or you can use the keystroke Ctrl + Alt + T.
- Step 2: When the new screen shows up, insert this command: ip route | grep default, then press Enter.
- Step 3: Look for the IP address of your Arris router.
Find router IP on Android devices
- Step 1: Go to the Settings, then choose WiFi.
- Step 2: Tap on the network you are connecting to in the list to see the connection information
- Step 3: Look for the router IP at the Gateway entry
Android platform is open and customized differently on each device. Therefore, in case you are still struggling to find the IP address in this way, you can download a third-party application named WiFi Analyzer. This app helps you find out the router IP address you are connected to quickly.
- Step 1: Download the app WiFi Analyzer.
- Step 2: Swipe left or right until you find the screen that displays a list of all available WiFi networks.
- Step 3: At the top of this screen, you will see a Connected to section with the name of the current network connection. Click on it and you will the router’s IP address listed as Gateway.
Find router IP on iOS Devices
- Step 1: Go to Settings then click on WiFi to open the list of connections.
- Step 2: Tap on the blue info-circle on the right side of the network you are using to see the information about it
- Step 3: Check the entry Router to get your local router IP
Find router IP on Chrome OS
- Step 1: Select the notification tab on the right side of your taskbar.
- Step 2: On the new pop-up screen, click on Connected to [Network Name] option.
- Step 3: Choose the WiFi network that you are using then hit Network to see details of the current connection. The IP address you are seeking is at the entry Gateway.
Use router IP to access the web-based setup page
Now you know how to find the Arris router IP, which means you are able to get access to the web-based setup page to begin your personal configurations or fix the problems about the Internet connection. Follow these steps below:
- Step 1: Make sure your device is connected to the Arris router. Using WiFi or LAN doesn’t matter.
- Step 2: Type the Arris router IP address into the search bar of the browser and search
- Step 3: On the login screen, type admin for the username and password to log in. After that, you will go to the Arris web-based setup page and can begin setup.
What is the IP Address?
“Oh, no! I have no idea what IP address is and what it is used for. Should I proceed or…” Do not worry! We can assure most people also have no idea either. Why? Because in most cases, people don’t really care about their IP addresses
In technical terms, IP address, which is the abbreviation of Internet Protocol address is a unique address that today’s electronic devices like your computers, phones, and routers are using to identify and communicate with each other on a computer network.
Thanks to IP addresses, we can pinpoint the location of all digital devices when they are connected to the Internet and can differentiate them from other devices.
IP address, to put it simply, is a network address your computer or other devices use to let the Internet know where to send the pictures of your cats.
Types of Router IP address?
There are two types of IP addresses in your router. They are public IP addresses (external IP) and private IP addresses (internal IP).
Public IP address
The public IP address is the IP address provided by the ISP, which stands for Internet service providers to use outside the network. Someone can see and access it from the Internet. Basically, a public IP address is like the home address used to receive mail and parcels.
On the Internet, there will not be another device using the public IP of your device because two devices sharing the same public IP address cannot exist. Most ordinary users do not have control over their public IP addresses
Your public router IP address is chosen from a pool of available addresses and changes each time a user connects to the Internet. To know your public IP address, you can search on Google with the keywords What is my IP.
Private IP address
The private IP address or also known as Gateway IP address is the IP address that the router uses to communicate within the same network. Your router assigns this IP to every device connecting to it, including itself.
This IP address is not visible and functional outside the local network. For routers, you can use the private IP address to access the web-based setup page to configure your router settings.
Change The Arris Router Ip Address
Why should you change the gateway IP Address?
Your router is still working well, so why do you have to take risks changing its gateway IP address?
Well, the reason is simple. As we mentioned before, you can find the default gateway IP and default login credentials of every router brand or model on the Internet. Therefore, it is better for you to change them.
How to change IP address
- Step 1: Use a WiFi client device like a computer, laptop, or smartphone to get connected to the Arris router. You can also use an Ethernet connection instead.
- Step 2: Go to the web-based setup page of the Arris router. You can follow the instructions above to know the steps.
- Step 3: After login, on the Home screen of the user interface page, navigate to the Basic tab in the menu on the top.
- Step 4: Select DHCP from the drop-down menu to open the Basic – DHCP page.
- Step 5: Look for the LAN IP Address field and insert the new gateway IP address you want. Click on Apply to save the changes and apply them.
Notes when change the router IP Address
Follow the format of the router IP Address
The IP address you change must follow the format of the private IP address. The router IP Address usually consists of 4 numbers separated by dots.
Furthermore, you can just change one or/both two last numbers in the sequence. You can select each number position in the range of values from 1 to 254. For example, the default IP address 192.168.1.1 can be changed into 192.168.1.5 or 192.168.2.1.
With this combination, we will have a total of nearly 70,000 different IP addresses that can be used in a local network. Someone wants to guess the gateway IP address of your router? Forget it!
However, you cannot change the gateway IP address into 192.168.5.x and 192.168.51.x – 192.168.53.x because it is only available for the WiFi Guest network.
After changing the IP Address
After changing the IP in the LAN IP Address field and click Apply, it will take about a minute to take effect. At that time, your router will interrupt the wireless connection for a short time and then reconnect.
When the new address is ready, you can launch the browser and type the new sequence of numbers to go to the login screen of the web-based setup page. Save this ID or write it down.
What if you forget the gateway IP address?
When you forget the router IP, you cannot log into the configuration site anymore, which leads to you being unable to reset your IP. Your last resort is you have to use the Reset button behind the router to reset everything.
Press and hold the reset button for about 10 seconds or 30 seconds for older router models. After reset, every customization will be wiped out, including the username, password, and gateway IP address and return to the default state.
To wrap up, our guide above brings you the detailed methods on how to find Arris router IP manually on all platforms.
The knowledge is fundamental when you use routers, but it is extremely necessary that we think you need to know. Whether the device you are using is a computer, laptop, phone, or tablet, it will just take you less than one minute to proceed.
We hope this instruction on Arris router IP will be useful for you. Wish you success!